Claims Continue On Michael Jackson Estate

Sources: The San Fernando Valley Sun

World+Music+Awards+2006+Arrivals+CflvDiD-9kHl

LOS ANGELES (CNS) – A lawyer for Michael Jackson’s estate has urged a judge to reject claims by four people who maintain they had interests in a company the singer created before his death, saying he was the entity’s sole owner.

In his final argument to Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Maria Stratton on Wednesday, June 29, lawyer Howard Weitzman questioned the validity of a document the quartet claims is Jackson’s signed consent to the alleged deal regarding the Michael Jackson Co.

Weitzman said Jackson routinely referred such documents to his lawyers before penning his name.

“I believe this is a totally and completely fabricated claim,” Weitzman said.

Lawyers for Qadree El-Amin, Broderick Morris, Raymone Bain and Adean King said their clients collectively own about 15 percent of the company under a 3 a.m. deal Jackson made with them in a Tokyo hotel room on June 1, 2006.

They say it was Jackson’s idea to form the company and that he reserved 75 ownership for himself; 10 percent each to his mother, Katherine, and Bain, his general manager; and 1.68 percent each to El-Amin, Morris and King.

Stratton said she was taking the case under submission and did not indicate when she would rule.

King worked at the time for Bain, who testified in a sworn declaration that she met Jackson through tennis star Serena Williams. El-Amin was the manager of the R&B vocal group Boyz II Men, and Morris was the chief operating officer of Positive Productions Inc., a Japan-based company that promoted concerts and other events in that country.

The four maintain they tried to help Jackson recharge his career through public appearances, performing on tour and making more music.

Testimony began late in 2015 and continued through the first part of this year. The non-jury trial stems from a petition filed by the Jackson estate, which seeks to have the estate declared the sole owners of the Michael Jackson Co. LLC.

Attorney Jeffrey Fazio, on behalf of Morris, Bain and King, said Jackson was financially and professionally devastated by sexual misconduct allegations despite his 2006 acquittal and was looking to revitalizing his career.

“Nobody wanted anything to do with him,” Fazio said. “He was a pariah at the time. It was no mean feat trying to get people to go into business with him.”

Yet, Morris convinced business representatives to talk with Jackson and he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of his own money doing so, Fazio said.

Fazio said Bain was instrumental in getting refinancing for Jackson’s Neverland Ranch near Santa Barbara as well as his family’s Encino compound.

Lawyer Maxwell Blecher, representing all El-Amin, Morris, Bain and King, said the four pledged to keep the deal under wraps.

“They all said they had an understanding with Jackson that they would not blab about it,” Blecher said. “They didn’t need to take out an ad in the Wall Street Journal.”

But attorney Patrick Millett, also on behalf of the Jackson estate, said the estate was entitled to know about the claims of the four within a year of Jackson’s June 25, 2009, drug overdose death. Their failure to do so violated the statute of limitations, she said.

Blecher previously said he does not know how much his clients may be entitled to if they win the case because the estate’s lawyers have not given them documents demonstrating the value of the estate. However, he said that despite the lack of information, it is worthwhile for the four to push forward.

“I believe there is substantial money there,” Blecher said.

Read more here

6 thoughts on “Claims Continue On Michael Jackson Estate

  1. The same old motive that has been the root of evil since time immemorial…

    “Blecher previously said he does not know how much his clients may be entitled to if they win the case…”

    ““I believe there is substantial money there,” Blecher said.”

    Nuff said!

    • Some people just want to be a leech stuck to his money for life! That’s the nicest way I say this right now. They are not Michael Jackson, who worked like a dog his entire life to get everything he had. No one gave him anything and they don’t deserve anything! I hope the judge throws this out. I know this is not new, but I am so pissed at all things that the people keep doing to Michael, I don’t know what to do. I’m fed up with lying scandals, all these new tell-all books and frauds! Tell all and speculate about yourselves! Leave him alone!

      • These Johnny and Jill come lately are disgusting. They had a whole year to make this claim. They did not because it took them more than a year to make up this fabrication. Perhaps they thought it others can make time barred appeals to the court and gain a hearing, nothing stood to prevent them doing the same. I will rephrase the old adage about untalented people who enter the teaching profession: Those who can DO. Those who can’t do, LEACH.

        In the end, the only winners here will probably be the attorneys–either side.

      • I totally agree with everything you said. The longer these judges take to make a decision on these late submitted claims, the more it entices these con artists to throw their hat in the ring for a chance. It’s sickening.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s