Sources: Mirror | Edited By All Things Michael
The Spice Girls‘ smash hit Wannabe has the most recognisable opening notes of any pop song, taking just 2.29 seconds for Brits to “name that tune”.
The study to find the catchiest song in the world was conducted by Manchester’s Museum of Science and Industry, and put the 1996 number one at the top of charts for its instantly known beat.
Wannabe, which was the Spice Girls’ debut single, pushed Lou Bega’s Mambo No 5 into second place.
The research was conducted using ‘Hooked On Music’, a clever game you can use to test your own musical memory.
Researchers found on average Lou Bega’s chart topping 1999 hit took listeners 2.48 seconds to recognise and Survivor’s anthem Eye of the Tiger came third with 2.62 seconds.
How long it takes to name that tune:
- Spice Girls, Wannabe – 2.29 seconds
- Lou Bega, Mambo No. 5 – 2.48 seconds
- Survivor, Eye of the Tiger – 2.62 second
- Lady Gaga, Just Dance – 2.66 seconds
- Abba, SOS and Roy Orbison, Pretty Woman – 2.73 seconds
- Michael Jackson, Beat It – 2.8 seconds
- Whitney Houston, I Will Always Love You and The Human League, Don’t You Want Me – 2.83 seconds
- Aerosmith, I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing – 2.84 seconds
- Lady Gaga, Poker Face – 2.88 seconds
- Hanson, Mmmmbop – 2.89 seconds